Monday, May 12, 2008

5 Generations of Hands: An Update

I first discovered the widespread distribution of a photo I took ~ Five Generation of Hands ~ back in February 2008 when I wrote about it on this blog. Since then, I hear about people who have received emails with the photo on an almost weekly basis ~ my brother-in-law in Iowa got it from a cousin in the ministry, a friend here in Austin received it last week from her former mother-in-law, and my aunt in Missouri heard about it from someone in her church congregation. Even after all these sitings, it still amazes me now.

Earlier this week, Mother called to share yet another sighting. Daddy went in to for a check up at his doctor's office and found a printed copy of the photo along with my words explaining the ages and relationships in the photo. Melinda's beautiful poem, Grandma's Hands, was not with this version hanging on the wall in Marble Falls, Texas.

My father paused to read it, then said to the receptionist, "My daughter took that picture, and that's my family." The folks in the office didn't believe him until he assured them he could bring in one of the "models" and prove it. One of the nurses remarked, "Well, they must have made a lot of money off of that!"

When Mom relayed the story to me, she commented, "Isn't that a coincidence?!" I told her that ~ more than coincidence ~ it just goes to show how widespread the distribution really has been.

Amazing.

No comments: